The coat of arms, in the pediment of the Market House at Clones, poses the question as to which families the quarterings represent. In the pediment, under a Baron's coronet, are the arms of Lord Dacre in Portland stone. taken from the old Market House and also bear the Barrett-Lennard motto, 'Pour bien desirer' (Kevin Mulligan, p 274, The Buildings of Ireland: Armagh, Cavan and Monaghan).
In short the arms in the quarters are:
First Quarter, quartered again for Lennard (1st and 4th) and Barrett (2nd and 3rd)
Second Quarter, Dacre
Third Quarter, Loftus
Fourth Quarter Rush.
The arms on the pediment of the Market House at Clones
The arms appear to represent Richard Lennard husband of his cousin, Lady Anne Lennard, Baroness Dacre. Richard was grandson of Richard who in turn was son of Richard, 13th Lord Dacre. His cousin was Edward Barrett, Lord Newburgh, who adopted Richard for his heir. He was Sheriff of Essex in 1679 and he married Ann, daughter and heir of Sir Robert Loftus, who died before his father, and was eldest son of Adam Loftus, Viscount Ely, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, who brought him (Richard) a considerable estate in Clones which he inherited from his mother, who was the eldest daughter of and coheir of Sir Edward Rush. The details of the family are given below.
The arms (Lennard and Barrett) of the 17th Lord Dacre
Blazon for the arms of Barrett and Lennard
The arms of Dacre
The arms of Dacre came from the first creation of Lord Dacre in 1321. His descendant, Joan, seventh Baroness Dacre married Sir Richard Fiennes of Sussex. The great great-great-grandson of the 7th Baroness, the tenth baron Gregory Fiennes, was succeeded by his sister Margaret, the eleventh Baroness, the wife of Sampson Lennard.
The arms of Loftus
The arms of Rushe.
The reference for the above comes from a Supplement to the Fifth Edition of Collins Peerage from 1779 to 1784, the year of publication, see (page 98):
The Market House at Clones
The arms in the pediment of the Market House at Clones
The shield dating from 1845 on the Market House
The Market house was designed by William Deane Butler. The shield contains an escallop shell, a red house, a b roken bough, all laid over a tasselled cord and the date 1191. The shell appears to represent Dacre for Lord Dacre, the red hand maybe a nod towards the title of baronet or red hand of Ulster, while the date 1191 suggests a reference to the Monastery (Round Tower) at Clones.
The iron work carrying the initials T.L. for Thomas Lennard
The Lennard Crest
George Barrett married Elizabeth Dinely and had a son Edward Barrett who bequethed his estate to his first cousin twice removed. There follows the details of Richard 13th Lord Dacre from Elizabeth Dinely.
Details of the descent of Barrett Lennard family from Richard 13th Lord Dacre.
The first creation came in 1321 when Ralph Dacre was summoned to Parliament as Lord Dacre. He married Margaret, 2nd Baroness Multon of Gilsland, heiress of a large estate in Cumbria centred on Naworth Castle and lands in North Yorkshire around what is now Castle Howard. However, the status of this barony is uncertain after Margaret's death in 1361. Lord Dacre's younger son, the third Baron, was murdered in 1375. He was succeeded by his younger brother, the fourth Baron. The latter's grandson was Thomas Dacre, the sixth Baron. His second son Ralph was summoned to Parliament as Lord Dacre (of Gilsland) in 1459 (see below). However, this new creation became extinct on his death in 1461. Thomas's fifth son, Humphrey, was summoned to Parliament as Lord Dacre of Gilsland in 1482 (for more information on this creation, see below).
Thomas was succeeded by his granddaughter Joan, the seventh Baroness, the only surviving child of Lord Dacre's eldest son Sir Thomas Dacre (1410–1448). She was the wife of Sir Richard Fiennes of Herstmonceux Castle, Sussex. In 1459 Richard was summoned to Parliament as Lord Dacre in right of his wife.
While there were two Barons Dacre simultaneously, the Fiennes peers, seated in Sussex, were commonly called Baron Dacre of the South, while their counterparts, seated at Naworth Castle and Gilsland in Cumberland were Baron Dacre of the North. This distinction came to an end in 1569, when the Gilsland title became extinct.
The great-great-grandson of the 7th Baroness, the ninth Baron, is notable for his conviction for murder in 1541, when his title was forfeited. However, his son Gregory was restored to the title in 1558. He was succeeded by his sister Margaret, the eleventh Baroness, the wife of Sampson Lennard. Their great-grandson, the fourteenth Baron, married Elizabeth Bayning, daughter of Paul Bayning