Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Heraldry at Kilbixy (Baronstown) Co Westmeath

The imposing mausoleum was built c.1812 for the Malone family in a mix of Greek Doric and Egyptian-revival styles. It has a high pitched pyramid-shaped limestone roof and retains it’s original wooden doors. Beneath the stone floor is the vault where four members of the Malone family are interred, including the famous Edmond Malone and his brother, Richard Malone (Lord Sunderlin). The wrought iron railing surrounding the mausoleum are a later 19th century addition.

Edmund Malone (1704-1774) was second son of Richard Malone. He was called to the English bar in 1730. On 26 May 1736 he married Catherine Collier (who died 1765) only daughter and heir to Benjamin Collier of Ruckholts in Essex. Edmund served as MP in the Irish House of Commons. His son, Richard Malone (1738-1816) was created Lord Baron Sunderlin in 1785. He lived on the estate Lady Sunderlin but the title became extinct on his death. Edmund’s other son also Edmond Malone (1741-1812) was the well renowned among literary circles in his day. He trained as a barrister but found his niche as a writer and literary researcher. He was a renowned scholar and commentator on the works of William Shakespeare, he wrote the New Edition of Shakespeare published 1790 in 11 volumes. Edmond also wrote other well-known classical works such as History of the English Stage (1790), Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds (1797) and Prose Works of Dryden (1800) amongst others.

The quartered coat of arms bears the quartered arms of Malone and Collier.

No comments:

Post a Comment